Monday, March 14, 2011

March Challenge - Day 12: Those who pervert "God" to suit their motives

Today, while on Facebook, I stumbled across a video a friend posted of some lunatic with a webcam professing that God is great...because he caused the earthquake and tsunami to wipe out the "atheists" of Japan. If you have the stomach to sit through the whole video, click here.

Sadly, she is one of many fanatics who have perverted what God is supposed to be (like so many before her) to spew venomous hatred towards others that are not like her. Those of us with any thought process should pity this girl - clearly misguided, most likely brainwashed, her rants make no sense to anyone (except a horrifying few who seem to have liked this video).

A couple days ago, I wrote about Representative John King (R-NY) opening up a new MacCarthy-era style committee to investigate Muslim extremism in the US, after watching this video, he might consider shifting his focus.

Yes, people of all religions pervert the idea of God and use it to manipulate others. Rather than the love that most religions teach, these zealots bend the texts and target those most secceptable to this kind of preaching. They turn love into hate and open-mindedness into intolerance. They do exactly what the devil does - lead people away from the love and hope that God provides.

Now, I'm not religious by any means. In fact, the last time I stepped into any church was back in 2006 when I visited Notre Dame, and that was only for photos. I can't really remember the last time I attended a church service, but I do remember I was bored to tears. But I did realize at an early age that the concept of God was good in my life. His followers (well, in the New Testament anyways) preached love and acceptance of others, something I have yet to fully grasp as I have somewhat of a judgmental nature. His followers lived by a set of rules, that are pretty much common sense - don't cheat, steal or kill. Nonetheless, the idea of being accountable to a higher being does often make one think and evaluate the consequences before doing something foolish.

However, starting from about the eighth grade, it was apparent to me that while God aspired his followers to be one thing, because we're human, mistakes will happen. Fear and anger are natural emotions we feel and it can manifest into terrible actions, while using God's name to justify it.

I am thankful I did not grow up in or near a community with any religious wingbats. In fact, many of the deeply religious people I know were taught the right message. And those people that I know who are deeply religious don't often find it necessary to criticize or demean others for not believing in what they do.

My position is this - if you have to bully or make the big sell (cough...Scientologists) to anyone to join your religion, don't you think you're on the wrong team if you have to work that hard to convince someone else you're right? Would people be naturally curious about what you believe in if they saw that you were doing well for yourself and others around you and engage you in a conversation about it? Why must these fanatics berate the rest of us with their lunacy?

There are laws in many countries where racist or hate-filled remarks can be prosecuted and people cannot hide behind free speech (for example France, where anti-semitism is illegal as John Galliano recently found out). Shouldn't that be extended to this type of hateful religious rhetoric as well? In the video, the girl clearly was wishing ill will towards all "atheists," and praises God for "shaking them". One should think, if she felt God didn't act on her prayers to do harm to the atheists, would she have done something in God's name?

Social media is a great reflection on democracy. People voice their opinions and are applauded or shut down by the masses around them. While I, along with many others, I'm sure, are disgusted that people like this nutjob exist, it is comforting to know that the large majority vilify her as much as I do. It shows, that no matter what you believe, common sense and decency still reigns among us.

No comments:

Post a Comment