Saturday, April 2, 2011

April Challenge - Day 1: Walk the Plank

So my goal for the next 28 days is to train for the Sporting Life 10k which takes place on May 1. I've already started on the treadmill this past week, but the goal here is to also do some strength training in order to get beach ready for my trip to Thailand in May.

So I did about 2 hours at the gym today, which included:
- 27min of running (5K - need to get this time down to 24min somehow)
- 10min of skipping (goal was to get 1,000 skips in - I think I achieved about 800 before I was like, no more.)
- 30 min on core - I tried a new exercise on the swiss ball. One handed planks (more on that below) and various crunches and situps
- 20min on freeweights
- 15min on back
- 15min on flexibility exercises (stretches, yoga poses)

The one handed plank on a swiss ball was perhaps the toughest thing I did today. It was less than successful. After trying to stabilize myself for about 2 minutes, I thought I finally found my perfect balance, removed my left hand and promptly fell face first into the floor. Thankfully, no one was around to witness this sad display of fitness (or lack thereof). So I modified it and did a regular plank with the swiss ball. Still incredibly challenging but better than the one handed plank. I'll continue to try this exercise - we'll see how many attempts and faceplants it takes before I get it.


No comments:

Post a Comment