Sunday, April 10, 2011

April Challenge - Day 7: Cardio and the need for good music

In the lead up to my run May 1st, it's been all about cardio for the first part of my work out. Whether it be 1/2 hour on the treadmill, bike or elliptical, I've got to build up that endurance. Nothing helps more than a good set of tunes, and that was super apparent as I had forgotten to charge my iPod before going to the gym.

In my mind, there are three key reasons to isolate yourself with the sounds of your favourite tunes at the gym:

1) It pushes your workout to the next level.

A good upbeat song or an angry Eminem song (my favourite is Til I Collapse) really helps motivate you to push yourself when working out. It helps you run that extra mile or do that extra set or work through the pain. It's the personal trainer that doesn't cost you $100 per session.

2) It cancels out all the gross noise at the gym.

During my music-less run, I began to realize why I should just bring a set of earplugs the next time I forget to charge my iPod. The noises at the gym are disgusting. Grunting from the neanderthals at the weights, heavy breathing from those on the treadmill running at less speed than grannies walk, and farting, YES, farting noises coming from people who have headphones on, thinking that if they can't hear the noise, others can't (this topic is left for another post alone).

3) With a playlist, you can keep yourself in check for a regular workout.

I have a set playlist for running. When I'm done, I know I've reached my needed run time for the day. What a great solution for a timer.

Of course, having your headphones on does have one drawback. You're an anti-social git. There've been plenty of times people have tried to engage in conversation, and I've always had to make them repeat themselves as I remove my headset to respond. But then again, the gym shouldn't really be a place for chit chat...

No comments:

Post a Comment