Monday, January 3, 2011

January Challenge - Day 1

So my challenge for January is that I will give up alcohol consumption for 28 days. What better time to heal my liver and erase last month's holiday drinking with a full on alcohol-abstinence campaign.


Perhaps I was inspired by my dad's ridiculous powerpoint presentation that he sent me about how my liver will shut down if I don't treat it well. No lie - the presentation (aka Fearmongering via Microsoft PPT) was filled with animation and guilt trippy lines like: (in referencing alcohol consumption - "without me, your 'bad habits' will kill you.")


While I am sure this will be no easy feat (I work in advertising where drinking is included in your job description), I have done an alcohol cleanse before. Back at a previous agency, I gave up alcohol for 24 days before giving in and having a beer at a co-worker's goodbye party (Deric, that was for you).


So I started today, and at dinner with friends tonight, I kindly refrained from the yummy sangria on the table. Yummy, yummy sangria. My friend Reema reminded me of the times I used to make sangria in university - a juice jug, lemons, oranges and cheap wine were all that I needed (clearly, I didn't realize you need to add juice to Sangria at the time, all I was doing was adding fruit to wine). Oh, how I've changed.


Good will power for Day 1. I just don't know how Day 15 or 20 will feel like.


PS - in the photo above, it is not white wine in the glass, rather olive oil. No sense in cracking open a bottle of wine, only to let it sit for 28 days.

2 comments: